by Victoria Acevedo
Have you ever baked the most delicious dessert? I have, it is called the Tres Leches Cake. Tres Leches Cake means Three Milk Cake. This is my favorite recipe because it is so delicious and I had fun baking it with my father. On Thanksgiving Day after we finished eating dinner, we had the Tres Leches Cake for dessert, it was very delicious. Below is the recipe for the Tres Leches Cake so you can bake it your family.
You will need the help of an adult to make the cake.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 5 eggs to be separated to 5 egg whites and 5 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 10 cherries or strawberries
- Step 1 – Ask and adult to preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Step 2 – Put butter and flour on the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Step 3 – Put the egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar in a bowl and beat them until they are light in color and doubled in volume.
- Step 4 – Next add to the bowl the milk, vanilla, flour and baking powder.
- Step 5 – In a separate small bowl, add the egg whites and beat them until soft peaks form. Little by little add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Beat until firm but not dry.
- Step 6 – Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the yolk mixture to lighten it; fold in remaining egg whites. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Step 7 – Place the pan in the oven and bake in a preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until the cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Step 8 – Ask an adult to take out the cake from the oven and let the cake cool for 10 minutes.
- Step 9 – Let an adult loosen the edge of cake with a knife before removing the side of the pan.
- Step 10 – Let the cake cool completely on a wire rack.
- Step 11 – Place cooled cake on a deep serving plate.
- Step 12 – Poke holes on the top of the cake. My dad and I used a straw to poke the holes.
- Step 13 – In a bowl, mix together the condensed milk, evaporated milk and 1/4 cup of the whipping cream.
- Step 14 – Pour 1 cup of the measured milk mixture and refrigerate for another use.
- Step 15 – Pour the remaining milk mixture over the cake slowly until the cake absorbs it.
- Step 16 – Whip the remaining whipping cream until it thickens. Use this to frost the cake with whipped cream.
- Step 17 – Next, decorate the top of the cake cherries or strawberries.
- Step 18 – Put the cake in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Step 19 – Eat a piece of cake with your family and enjoy.
I hope you had fun baking and eating the Tres Leches Cake just like I did.